“As a librarian I have a regular role, but am also able to contribute more as and when I have the time. We have a great, proactive group that works as a cooperative to push the project forward, it’s an exciting new venture to a be part of.”
Jen, volunteer on Tuesdays.
|– Variable, but typically three to six hours a week during Library opening hours||– Makespace, Jericho / Walton Manor (1 Aristotle Lane, Oxford OX2 6TP)|
– Or other locations we are trying to set up
|– Training (how to use/maintain the ‘things’ and IT)|
– Free borrows
- Checking in/out ‘things’ (using the online catalogue)
- Taking payments
- Welcoming and communicating with borrowers
- Signing up new members
- Maintaining and adding to the inventory
- Repairing, cleaning, and maintaining items in the Library
We are looking for people to help to grow and develop the Library, joining our team of Librarians to staff the Library; it is currently open Thursdays and Saturdays from 12-6pm but we hope to be able to be open more in the future.
- Much of the work is sedentary so physical strength and fitness are not issues; we welcome applications from people of any physical ability.
- You need to be fairly comfortable using a simple online program and associated tasks.
- You need to be able to communicate with potential borrowers / users of the items – the Library is not a rental store but aims to develop relationships with its user members.
- You need to be able to commit with a reasonable degree of regularity.
We have an approximately monthly meeting of volunteers, where attendance is encouraged, but not compulsory.
To get involved, please get in touch at:
or stop by during our opening hours to have a chat.
More About SHARE Oxford & the Library of Things
SHARE Oxford aims to reduce waste and excess consumption through facilitating and encouraging sharing in the community. On the practical level this means having and loaning out useful items (‘Things’) at affordable rates, thereby helping people to buy less, store less, have access to more, and waste less.
However, we have a wider vision, that is to change individuals’ relationship with how they consume just about everything. Ultimately, we seek to challenge people’s perceptions of ownership and our relationship to the Earth’s resources, collaborate with like-minded people and groups, to inspire others to undertake similar initiatives, and to be part of a progression towards a healthier economy and society. We’ll know we’ve achieved this when the majority of people think “how can I share?” before
buying or disposing of anything.