“Being on reception support, I interact with visitors in a number of ways: I help to get them logged into our system, explain how the Repair Café works, try to answer their questions, and see their satisfied smiles when they leave!”
Susan, a weekly volunteer.
|– The Repair Cafés are currently on hold. But normally they are held on the first Sunday of every other month between 13:00 – 17:00 (Café starts at 14:00)|
– May need to stay as late as 6 to complete clear-up
|Makespace, Oxford||Good opportunity to meet lots of people|
- Prepare the space for the event and repairers
- Checking in customers and items for repair
- Communicate with repairers and customers/ answering general questions
- Accepting donations
- Clearing up the space
Helping to set up and run the Repair Café on the day:
- Manage, prepare and distribute the tea and cakes
- Make the Café a social event for attendees, and encourage conversation about waste, the circular economy. and SHARE Oxford itself
- Accept donations
- Help to clear up
We are looking for people to help to grow and support the ongoing work of our Repair Cafés, joining our team of staff.
- You need to be able to communicate with visitors to the Repair Café
- You need to be able to communicate with visitors of the repair café to answer questions
- You want to learn more about SHARE Oxford
- You need to be able to commit with a reasonable degree of regularity
We also have an approximately monthly meeting of volunteers, where attendance is encouraged, but not compulsory.
To get involved, please get in touch at:
|or alternatively, email@example.com|
or stop by during our opening hours to have a chat.
More About SHARE Oxford & the Library of Things
SHARE Oxford aims to reduce waste and excess consumption through facilitating and encouraging sharing in the community. On the practical level this means having and loaning out useful items (‘Things’) at affordable rates, thereby helping people to buy less, store less, have access to more, and waste less.
However, we have a wider vision, that is to change individuals’ relationship with how they consume just about everything. Ultimately, we seek to challenge people’s perceptions of ownership and our relationship to the Earth’s resources, collaborate with like-minded people and groups, to inspire others to undertake similar initiatives, and to be part of a progression towards a healthier economy and society. We’ll know we’ve achieved this when the majority of people think “how can I share?” before
buying or disposing of anything.