The ‘Member’ – any person who has created an account via the SHARE Oxford website, regardless of whether they have hired or not.
‘Item’ – any piece of equipment or ‘Thing’ stocked by SHARE Oxford.
‘SHARE Oxford’ (or ‘us’, ‘we’ or ‘our’) – the charity hiring out Items to Members
‘Hiring’ – the act of hiring an item from our Library of Things for the stated fees and returning it on the stated return date.
Joining & Membership
Only Members are able to hire from SHARE Oxford. To become a Member, you must:
- Be aged 18 or above
- Provide your personal details including full name, current postcode, valid phone number and a valid email address so that we can contact you
As a Member, you are responsible for:
- Bringing the item back clean. If the item is returned in a state that means our team need to clean it, we reserve the right to charge for our time.
- Bringing the item back on time, so the next Member isn’t kept waiting. You must return all items in their complete state (i.e. with all included parts) by closing time on the stated return date, as per your emailed check-out receipt. If you need to change your return date, please contact us before closing time on the return date. You understand that returning items after their return date will incur a Late Fee, at double the daily hiring fee.
- Bringing the item back with all its parts in good working order, so that it’s ready for use by the next Member. You understand that if you do not return all included parts of an Item, and/or if you return the Item damaged, you will be charged the replacement cost for each missing part and/or the cost to repair any damage done to the Item.
- Keeping the Item safe. If you have a problem returning the Item, please contact us immediately. If you lose it or the Item is stolen from you, we reserve the right to charge you up to the full replacement cost of a new Item.
- Using the Items in a safe and proper manner. You are responsible for using any Item you hire for the job it is intended to do, taking appropriate safety precautions outlined in how-to guides, including learning how to use the Item, inspection to ensure it is safe before use, wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), and immediately stopping use of an Item if it becomes unsafe or damaged.
- Telling us about any accidental damage immediately so we can plan for the next Member. We will not charge you for ‘reasonable use’ wear & tear, so long as this is reported straight away. Where the item has been used inappropriately or unreasonable damage has been caused, we may charge you a repair fee or up to the full replacement cost of the Item (at our discretion on inspection of the Item).
- Being aware of your insurance. You understand that you are insured to use the item that you have hired – but that if anyone else uses the item you have hired, that person is not insured for any damage to their person or their property. You also remain liable for safe return of the item. If you are hosting an event using an item hired from us, you will need your own public liability insurance.
- Not hiring the Items to do professional work where you are charging a fee to a third party. You will not be insured for this activity, and risk your membership being terminated.
- Paying the total amount owed for the Item(s) hired. We will charge you the hiring fee at the point you pick up the items from us, or before arranging delivery.
As a Member, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless SHARE Oxford, its officers, agents, and employees for any and all liability, loss, claims and demands, actions or causes of action for the death and injury to any people and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person, which arises in any way from the use of items you are hiring. If we discover you are not respecting the rules of hiring and our guidance in how to use the Library of Things and its items in a safe and proper manner, we reserve the right to terminate your membership at any time. You understand legal action may be taken against you.