… and nice weather so far. So we have featured items that you might want for going away and spending some time out in the open – camping or whatever – on our catalogue. Have a look and see how we can help you have some things that might make it possible here.
Library of Things ITV feature
You may have spotted us on ITV News last week! If you missed it, you can still catch the video here. We’ve also spoken on a couple of radio shows in other parts of Europe.
Come and see us!
We are of course always very happy to have you pop in to see us at Makespace during our usual opening hours but there are some additional exciting opportunities coming up:
- Guilty Feminist Live Show – Oxford, 19th June (tickets required) – We’re appearing in a panel discussion at the Guilty Feminist live show this Sunday where we’ll be talking about what we do in both the Library of Things and the Repair Cafés, alongside representatives from other local groups doing great things. You can buy tickets here (note the live shows are not being recorded for their podcast).
- Big Green Day Out – Oxford, Saturday 8th June (free) – We will have a stall at the Big Green Day Out, and we’d love to see you there! Find out more about the event here.
- Oxfordshire Zero Waste Festival – Oxford, 16th June (free) – We are supporting this event where you’ll find a repair café, swap shop, food surplus café and more! Find out more here.
May 9th (Thursday) 2019, 6.30pm- 8.30pm
Makespace, 1 Aristotle Lane, OX2 6LP
All Library and Repair Café volunteers, borrower members of the Library, and representatives of financial supporters of SHARE Oxford are invited to attend this AGM. Please let us know if you intend to attend, in order for us to plan better by emailing email@example.com
- The meeting will start at 6.30pm with a short update on the status and progress of the Library of Things and the Repair Cafes by Maurice Herson and Alex Mates.
- The formal business of the Meeting will then include:
- presentation of the provisional accounts for financial year 2018/19.
- Election and/or confirmation of the officers of SHARE Oxford (Chair [currently Alex] and Treasurer [currently Maurice], potentially Secretary). If you are interested in putting yourself forward for one of these roles – or would just like to see what they involve – please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The rest of the meeting will be spent in a discussion of future possibilities for SHARE Oxford, such as:
- other activities consistent with the vision of SHARE Oxford which we might take on;
- considerations for the continuity, frequency etc. of the Repair Cafes;
- considerations for the location of the Library after Makespace;
- partnerships we might seek;
- (if there is time) the nature of ‘membership’ of SHARE Oxford;
- and any other strategic considerations brought up by attendees.
If you would like to see SHARE Oxford’s Constitution, please email requesting it; copies will also be available at the meeting.
Last week, we were delighted to be the principal feature in the Guardian’s article on the global Library of Things movement, alongside mentions for some of our friends in other LoTs around the UK and the world. Keep an eye out for more coverage in the media coming very soon!
This week in the build-up to Mother’s Day, we’ve been making suggestions how you could do something for your mother. We started on Monday with gardening:
Instead of cut flowers full of air-miles why not spruce up the garden for your mum? Borrow our tools to help!
Next we suggested you could brighten up the car or patio for her by borrowing our pressure washer!
Then we put it to our members to spend quality time baking together, or bake something for her that she’ll love. Even if you’re not an expert in cupcake decoration, you can make them look great on our lovely cupcake stand! (it’s also perfect for afternoon tea)
Then we asked whether your mum would love to have that pesky DIY task done at last. Give her a treat by getting a job done for her… we have a wide variety of hand and power tools you can borrow…
Finally, to make the wonderful lady/ies who brought you up feel special by gathering together for some quality family time. We have lots of games and jigsaws to borrow to keep you entertained all afternoon…
And this weekend it now is Mother’s Day, so take up one of our ideas for her. Or see whether we can loan you something you need to do a job for her or give her a treat. Or it doesn’t need to be this weekend, you can do any of these things any day. Look online at our catalogue and see what we’ve got to assist you. SHARE Oxford catalogue
We’re really happy to now be sharing the Library of Things with the people of Oxford since our launch! You can find out more about how it works, and sign up, in our borrowing pages.
Photos and media
We had a great event on Saturday (16th) launching the Library of Things in Oxford. Such a lot of enthusiastic people, and loads of compliments about how well it was all organised, donations of items, offers of volunteering, and general good feelings, from us as volunteers and from those who attended. Thanks to everyone – and more pix to follow!
The cutting of the ribbon:
The Oxford Mail did a nice little piece about last Sunday’s Repair Cafe!
Out of 40 items brought for repair, 30 were made good, a total of some 100 kgs not going into incineration. Some other things will be repaired now their owners know what’s wrong and how. Items ranged from a pair of jeans to bikes and electrical and electronic equipment, tools and knives sharpened, no challenge unaddressed.
But most of all it was another fun day with lots of stuff revived, with lovely people, hopefully with some happy users of the event and all those fabulous volunteer repairers – thanks to them all! (And to Common Ground cafe for hosting us.)
Also this last weekend …
She also shared a BBC2 programme on the repair cafe movement – how cool to see the culture being revived in public awareness! https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/w3cswvrp
Definitely worth a listen (I just did).